Friday, March 26, 2010

Springtime posies

I woke up today to the first day of spring. The sun was shining, the weather was warm and the streets were packed with crowds anxious to take in the good weather. I love the first day of spring, just one day washes away the all the dreary winter months. I was eager to spend as much time outside as possible. I took the longest walking route to work and lingered in front of my office door for a while soaking up the sun. After a few hours in the office my coworkers and I headed straight for an outdoor cafe, grateful that spring was finally upon us.

When we all went our separate ways, I came across a small flower stand bursting with colors that reminded me of the lavender festivals in Paris. I bought a small bunch of posies in red, purple and pink and was overcome by the desire to get back to some healthy cooking. As I entered the outdoor market, busy with locals and foreigners alike, I realized I had no recipe in hand. I normally go food shopping knowing exactly what i'm going to make, holding a long list of ingredients, but this time I just had to follow my instincts.

The first thought that came to mind was Salade Niçoise, crisp, fresh and one of my favorites. Without a second thought I went straight for the fish stands, dodging onlookers snapping photos, and bought the freshest piece of tuna I could find. Before I knew it I had all the ingredients, including a bottle of Albariño to complement the meal, and was back at home just as the sun went down.

I found myself home alone, enjoying the peace and quiet, and I began a project I had been putting off for quite sometime, cleaning up my closet. Clothes were strewn everywhere, bunched up in corners, and I had the pleasant surprise of finding shirts and skirts I hadn't seen in months. Two hours later I poured myself a glass of wine and began preparing the perfect spring time salad after doing some spring cleaning.

When it was all ready and I began to eat alone at the table gazing out the big glass windows, I realized there was no better way to end the first day of spring than with a bowl of Salade Niçoise , a great bottle of white wine and vase full of posies.



Salade Niçoise
Serves 4 as a main course

2 large red potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 lb green beans, ends cut off
4 large eggs
1/2-1 lb mixed leaf salad
1 red onion, sliced thinly
10-15 cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
10 red or black olives
Olive oil
4 fresh tuna steaks

1. In a medium sized pot bring water to boil and add in the cut potatoes, boil until fully cooked, but not too soft, about 10-15 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes and run under cold water, place them in a bowl and put them in the fridge.
3. Bring fresh water to boil once again and place the green beans in a steamer basket, place the basket above the water and cover, let cook for 5- 8 minutes,
they should be a darker green but still crisp, run them under cold water. Place the beans in a bowl in the fridge. If you do not have a steamer basket, the
beans can also be placed in boiling water directly, following the same instructions.
4. Bring a small pot of water to boil and hard boil the eggs, about 10 minutes. Run them under cold water and remove the shell,
place them in a bowl and put them in the fridge.
5. In 4 separate bowls, fill each with the mixed leaf salad, slices of red onions, cherry tomatoes and olives.
6. When all the ingredients in the fridge have cooled, place them on top in a decorative manner, cutting the each egg into 4 pieces and the green beans into 2 inch lengths.
7. In a skillet, heat a few lugs of olive oil. Once it is hot sear the tuna steaks, two at a time, for about 30 seconds-1 minute on each side.
8. Remove the steaks and let cool for 5-10 minutes, then cut them into 1 inch pieces and place them on top of the salads, one steak per salad.

Balsamic Vinegar Dressing

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup olive oil
2 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbs extra strong mustard
Salt and pepper

1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, whisk them together until completely combined.
2. Pour a little over each salad and serve, keeping the remaining dressing on the table in case more is needed.







No comments:

Post a Comment