Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bolognese for a gloomy day

I've been having some pretty strange dreams lately, full of bizarre signs and people from my past. I bought a tiny lavender stuffed pillow today to sleep with in hopes that the soothing smell may sooth my head, and while I am enjoying the calming sensation, it may not be the cure. The cure most likely lies within the cause, my recent diet.

I was one of those children brought up on organic foods, always envious of the kids with fruit roll-ups and pizza lunchables in the cafeteria. I desperately tried to trade my apples and all natural juice boxes for something with artificial flavors and ingredients so unhealthy the names were unpronounceable.

Looking back, I am really happy that my mother rarely let me drink soda or stuff myself with McDonalds. I feel that due to her guidance I turned out to be a pretty healthy adult, don't get me wrong I have my vices, but I also know when I've had one bag of potato chips too many. That is until I fall under stress and lack of time, I go straight for sugar and plenty of carbs. My diet this week has consisted of lasagna, doughnuts, brownies, banana bread, coca- cola, what feels like thousands of turkey sandwiches and chips. I feel horrible and my dreams are becoming more surreal, but I just had to have one final hurrah tonight before I go back to my mostly healthy lifestyle.

I am a complete sucker for spaghetti bolognese, when done right I believe it can cure just about anything, from a bad day to a hangover, it's my blues food. After a restless night and a gloomy, grey day I turned to my miracle food to get me through to the end. Of course all this pasta and meat before I get into bed may result in another sleepless night, but I am willing to take my chances, just one last time, until next week that is.

After monthly practice I've gotten my recipe down just the way I like it, flavorful, filling and simple. All the perfect ingredients to keep a smile on my face.


Spaghetti Bolognese

Spaghetti or penne (I've been making mine with penne recently)
Olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 small tomatoes
1 small red chili pepper, finely chopped
1 lb ground beef
1 large can (about 1 1/2 lbs) crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbs dried provencal herbs
1 tsp white sugar
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs chopped basil
1 bay leaf
Fresh Parmigiano Reggiano, grated

1. In a large skillet over medium heat cook the onions and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 10 minutes
2. Add in the chopped chili pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes
3. Add in the chopped tomatoes, followed by the ground beef and cook until the beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks
4. Add in the crushed tomato and stir until all the ingredients are mixed together
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste, followed by the provencal herbs, sugar and balsamic vinegar, stir
6. Add in the basil and stir, allow to simmer on low until the sauce reduces and become thick
7. At this time bring a pot of water to boil, adding in a little salt, olive oil and one bay leaf
8. Once the water is boiling add pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes depending on pasta
9. Drain and rinse under cold water
10. Serve pasta individually on plates, topped with the bolognese sauce
11. Pass around the fresh Parmigiano to sprinkle on top


No comments:

Post a Comment