Monday, March 22, 2010

A brownie well deserved

After a long day at the office I managed to get in a trip to the supermarket and 4 hours in the kitchen. I originally planned to clean the disaster that is my bedroom, do at least half an hour of yoga, whip up dinner and dessert and begin reading an autobiography on Coltrane, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day.

As I sip on a glass of red wine I feel exhaustion wipe over me, the only thing I am looking forward to now is getting into my big, cozy bed. I do like days like this once in a while, the days when so much has been accomplished that you know the money spent on the "really good" mattress was well worth it (and mine most certainly was).

I did not spend my time at work day dreaming about sleep though, as sometimes I do, but rather I was consumed by a more tempting thought, that of sweet, chocolaty goodness. Images of brownies danced in my head, both plain and with nuts, alone or topped with a large spoonful of vanilla ice cream, each image better than the one before. When the clock struck 7 I knew what had to be done, cocoa powder was bought and I was on my way home to satisfy my craving. After experimenting for ages, I've stuck to a brownie recipe by the great Jamie Oliver, another one of my favorite chefs, which is simple yet divine. The results are perfect each and every time and keep my co-workers/friends coming back for more.


The Perfect Brownies
Adapted from the Little Book of Big Treats by Jamie Oliver (I have translated the measurements the best I could)

2 sticks of unsalted butter
7 oz dark, 70% chocolate, broken up into pieces
1 3/4 cups cocoa powder, sifted
1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
4 large eggs

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
2. Grease a 12x 9 baking tray.
3. In a large bowl over simmering water melt the butter and chocolate and mix until completely smooth and let cool.
4. In a separate combine all dry ingredients and add them to the chocolate mixture, stirring well.
5. In a small bowl beat the eggs.
6. Pour them into the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined, creating a silky consistency.
7. Pour the mixture into the baking tray and bake for about 25 minutes, do not over cook them or they will come out dry. When using a knife to test if they are done it should not come out completely clean.
8. Let cool and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment