Thursday, April 15, 2010

Mussels to cure writers block

Today I have writers block and am planning to solve the problem by listing a few of my favorite things in hopes that the happy thoughts will get the momentum going.

Chocolate anything, reading a really good book that's impossible to put down, the sun, really BIG banana splits, the feeling I get after a difficult yoga class, Latin food, beach days that turn into all night barbecues, new shoes, dinner parties with friends, my bicycle, singing in the shower, dancing in the kitchen, road trips, train rides, Asian food, good music, guacamole and chips, all things spicy, seafood, children, The Big Lebowski, day dreaming, arts and crafts, Freaks and Geeks, the ocean, Christmas time, places where it's always warm, my family, four hour long cooking sessions, not having writers block.....

Although my writers block has not budged the list has reminded me of one of my favorite inventions, a mussel dish I came up with while browsing the isles of our local Asian supermarket. The habanero peppers, ginger and lemon grass may just give me the jump start I need to get the creative juices flowing.


Mussels with Habanero Peppers, Ginger and Lemon Grass
Serves 2

Warning: This dish is very spicy (in a good way of course)!

1 lb. mussels, cleaned
About a 1 in piece of ginger, in all diameters, chopped
1 piece of lemon grass, chopped
1/2 of a habanero pepper, thinly sliced
2 Tbs cilantro, chopped

1. Place a large sauce pan over medium heat and put the mussels inside.
2. Sprinkle over the rest of the ingredients and cover.
3. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the mussels open.
4. Spoon out into two bowls, making sure to get all the broth.
5. Serve with sliced French bread.



No comments:

Post a Comment