Monday, April 19, 2010

Mexican ceviche followed by a puffy Sunday

Yesterday was my lazy Sunday, I love lazy Sundays. I stayed in bed all day watching TV and eating until I couldn't possibly eat anymore, well actually the truth is I lost motivation to continue my trips to the kitchen so by 12am I had finished my eating adventure.While I enjoyed it at the time, I did not feel as happy when I woke up this morning. In fact I felt puffy, stuffed and cranky. Not surprising after inhaling four miniature tuna sandwiches, left over guacamole and chips, Twizzlers, three pieces of bread covered in butter, an ice cream sunday (to celebrate the day), a huge bowl of pasta drenched in tabasco and in my final attempt to be healthy, chopped cucumbers with olive oil and salt. I know it sounds disgusting, and it was...even my little sister told me I had to put an end to it.

Today I have vowed to not consume a single carbohydrate or sugar infused morsel of food for the rest of the week, while this probably won't happen I will try my hardest. At least I can say I started off the weekend on the right foot. Friday morning I attended my first TaeKwon Do aerobics class (which I am still feeling today) and avoided McDonalds like the plague (for some reason working out makes me crave McDonalds), although I was tempted by thoughts of cheese burgers and chicken nuggets.

On Saturday my friend Semra and I decided to stay on the straight and narrow by cooking up something healthy for lunch. Remembering my promise to make ceviche from around the world, I settled on a Mexican ceviche recipe with a guacamole appetizer. Mexican ceviche goes against all the rules of Peruvian ceviche, including the use of tomatoes and olive oil. None the less I am a fan and liked the addition of shrimp, although it wasn't spicy enough for me with just the jalapeños peppers (I'm pretty sure I've burned off half my taste buds because it was spicy for Semra). I added in some habanero peppers, my ingredient of the month, and found comfort in yet another citrusy, melodious ceviche.

I will try to remember this dish next time a Sunday comes around and I feel the need to empty the contents of my refrigerator into my stomach.




Mexican Ceviche Recipe
Adapted from a recipe by Verona on the website Ceviche Recipes From Around the World

Serves 6

2 pounds of shrimp, peeled
½
pound of white fish – sea bass fillet for example (dice into ½ inch cube)
7-10 large limes
1 small lemon
1 medium diced fresh tomato
½ small white onion, finely chopped
½ small green sweet pepper, chopped in cubes

½ jalapeño pepper, chopped in cubes
1 habanero pepper, chopped (optional)
½ buch of fresh chopped parsley or chopped cilantro

1 teaspoon of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large bowl, mix the shrimp and fish with the lime juice and lemon juice and put it in the fridge for 1 hour or until shrimp and fish are opaque (this step cooks the shrimp and fish).

2. In another bowl mix the tomato, onion, sweet pepper, jalapeño, habanero pepper (if you are using it), cilantro/parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper.

3. Mix all ingredients; cover the bowl and chill ceviche in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

4. Serve by itself, with corn chips or chocolo.


No comments:

Post a Comment