Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mimosas, mountains and Asian noodle salad

Today I feel like writing, I'm not sure about what just yet, but don't worry I won't bore you with a stream of random thoughts...well, perhaps just for a second. I also have the desire to sip on a mimosa as I frivolously type away, I know I just woke up, but I am a strong believer that it is never to early for a mimosa during vacations, weekends or any given day in the summer. I probably should refrain today seeing as in a few hours I will be off to the mountains for hiking, climbing and plenty of peace and quite, with out a slab of concrete in sight. The likely hood of the matter is I will give in, due to my love for all things bubbly and orange infused, and end up sleeping the whole train ride there.

Now that my first problem has been solved, on to the next...what to eat for lunch today. Preferably something that goes well with a mimosa. I've gone through my recipe book about ten times now and have ruled out the Chocolate Truffle Cake (although it's tempting), Chicken Parmesan (maybe for dinner) and Sole Meunière (i'm not in the mood for butter). I have formed a list of maybes as well, but I think I may have just found my match, a Thai/Vietnamese rice noodle salad from my favorite blog, Orangette.

Light, bursting with Asian flavors and perfectly paired with a mimosa, this is the dish. I am addicted to Asian food, particularly Thai and Vietnamese, with hints of fish sauce, red chilies and lime juice, each dish is robust. I usually go for seconds (sometimes even thirds, but that's between you and me) and find myself overly full, but extremely happy.

This particular salad is great because it is more filling than the average salad, but still just as healthy. The dressing is really what makes the salad, an interesting mixture of brown sugar, rice vinegar, lime, garlic and of course fish sauce gives it an exotic, fresh taste. I like to make it in large portions and keep it in the fridge so I can constantly pick at it for a day or two.

I believe that I have found my mimosa match.


Almost-Summer Rice Noodle Salad
From the
Orangette blog, adapted from Lynne Rossetto Kasper’s Splendid Table Weeknight Kitchen e-mail newsletter and modified slightly by myself

Serves 4-6

1 pound thin rice noodles (roughly the thickness of linguine)
3 large cloves garlic, peeled
½ cup Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
2/3 cup water
½ cup fresh lime juice
½ cup rice vinegar
¼ to ½ cup brown sugar, to taste
1 to 2 hot chilies (red bird, jalapeño, or serrano), seeded and minced, or to taste
6 to 8 leaves Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
8 scallions, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded or julienned
½ cup tightly packed cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
2 grilled or roasted chicken breasts, shredded (with or without works, as well as replacements like beef or tofu, I like to use shrimp)
1 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped

1.Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2.Add the rice noodles and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Drain the noodles into a colander, rinse with cold water, and then place them in a large bowl.
3. Place the garlic cloves in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse to mince. Add the fish sauce, water, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, and chilies, and purée them together. [The mixture will get quite frothy.] Taste, and if necessary, add more chile and adjust the sweet/tart balance. Pour the dressing into a serving bowl, and set it aside.
4. Toss the vegetables, cilantro and dressing with the noodles, and mound the mixture on a platter. Scatter the chicken (or replacement) and peanuts over the top, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment