Friday, July 1, 2011

Unleashing the Italian Grandmother Within

It's funny how satisfying a bag of Honey Dijon Kettle Potato Chips, a pint of Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk ice cream and a nice cold Pilsner can be after a long Friday at work. Some 23 year-olds enjoy the glamour of nightclubs and noisy bars to jump start the weekend. I, on the other hand, currently find happiness surrounded by junk food, the dishes piling up in my kitchen sink and the noise of my finger tips tapping away at the keyboard.

Half way through my latest read, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, I have begun what can be considered my journey of self-awareness. Essentially it is my quest to reconnect with my base principles and my basic human nature. I have spent years of my life trying to follow the rules (always leading to failure), trying to become what I thought was expected (more failure) and attempting to please everyone around me (biggest failure of all). As I stop and reflect I realize that I am just who I am. I am not the girl who finished college in four years, not the girl who gave up her dreams to make big bucks and most definitely not the girl who kept it together when she knew she could not. I AM the girl who once ate an entire stick of butter in one sitting, the girl who finds so much joy in her job that she gushes about it until her friend's have to restrain her and the girl who feels so overwhelmed with love for the amazing people who surround her that she sometimes sends sappy text messages at all hours of the night in pure gratitude.

Discussing this today at Samovar with one of my all time favorite clients I came across another realization, my true nature is actually that of a very large Italian grandmother. I do believe that nothing gives me more pleasure than cooking ridiculous amounts of food and stuffing people with it until they are practically unconscious. This is the true source of my happiness. It is a slightly unconventional, some may say unhealthy source, but i'm sure there is a nona or two standing over her stove in Italy, stirring an oversized pot of homemade tomato sauce grinning from ear to ear, who could relate.

One of my favorite dishes to whip together when I step into this role is apple crumble. It is not in fact Italian, but it is the ultimate comfort food, sure to satisfy any growling stomach. It is effortless, simple and always results in full bellies and happy minds. The perfect remedy for even the worst of days. The buttery crumb top paired with the warm flavors of nutmeg and cinnamon create an immediate sense of security and well being. I like to serve it right out of the oven with vanilla bean ice cream while screaming, "you're too skinny, mange, mange!" I know I may sound crazy, but don't knock it till you tried it.



Apple Crumble

1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cold milk
1 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 green apples cored and sliced
3/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, cold enough to crumble

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
2. Mix the first five ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Place the mixture in a pie pan and pat down on the bottom and sides to form a crust.
4. Mix together the next five ingredients in a bowl and transfer to the pie shell.
5. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and crumble over the top of the pie
6. Bake for 45 minutes
7. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment