Thursday, June 17, 2010

Three day festival salad

Festival season is upon us and I must say Barcelona knows how to throw one hell of a party. This week's festival is Sonar, three days of electronic music mayhem, going from day to night without a moment of rest. I am not a big fan of electronic music, but if there's a party I am bound to join in the festivities. This means plenty of late nights and cheap bites to financially survive the next three days. I have stocked my refrigerator with frozen french fries, ingredients for deluxe hamburgers and plenty of tortilla chips and fresh salsa in an attempt to make it through until the end. For my last final hurrah I decided to get in just one more salad, hoping the nutrients will last for a full 72 hours.

This particular salad is one of kind, filling and very tasty. I found the recipe on the 101 Cookbooks blog, it combines miso flavors with cabbage and tofu to create a delectable meal. Now cabbage and tofu don't sit well with everyone, they tend to be love or hate ingredients. I love cabbage, my boyfriend on the other hand does not, which was why I was shocked that he scarfed down his entire bowl in under ten minutes with pure enjoyment. I have never been a huge fan of tofu, not even during the 11 years I spent as a vegetarian, yet the tofu mixed with the other crisp ingredients hit the spot. So good in fact that my boyfriend thought it was chicken. For those who really dislike tofu it can be replaced with chicken.

I ate my salad and I must say I actually feel full, which is rare when a bowl of pasta the size of my head isn't involved, and I am ready to participate in the festivities. Just in case the serving of salad doesn't get me through I saved a little for an extra boost.


Chopped Miso Salad
Adapted from the 101 Cookbooks recipe

Serves 3 (or 4 with small appetites)


1 1/2 cups shallots, skinned and thinly sliced
splash of extra-virgin olive oil
pinch of salt

2 tablespoons miso
1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard (or whatever mustard you have around)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup (brown) rice vinegar
1/3 cup mild flavored extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon pure toasted sesame oil (optional)

1/2 of a medium-large cabbage
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 medium red onion, sliced
3/4 cup chives, minced
8 ounces extra-firm tofu, room temperature or 2 skinless chicken breasts

1. Stir together the shallots, splash of olive oil and big pinch of salt In a large pan over medium heat. Stir every few minutes, you want the shallots to slowly brown over about 15 minutes. Let them get dark, dark brown (but not burn). Remove them from the skillet and onto a paper towel to cool in a single layer.

2. Make the dressing by whisking the miso, mustard, and brown sugar together. Now whisk in the rice vinegar and keep whisking until it's smooth. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, and then the sesame oil. Two pinches of fine grain salt. Taste and make any adjustments if needed.

3. Heat a little olive oil in a pan over medium heat and cook the tofu or chicken until golden brown, set aside to cool.

5. Cut the cabbage into two quarters and cut out the core. Using a knife shred each quarter into whisper thin slices. The key here is bite-sized and thin. If any pieces look like they might be awkwardly long, cut those in half.

6. Gently toss the cabbage, shallots, almonds, red onion, chives and tofu in a large mixing/salad bowl. Add a generous drizzle of the miso dressing and toss again - until the dressing is evenly distributed. Add more a bit at a time if needed, until the salad is dressed to your liking.

7. Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment