Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Green leaf heaven

I've got two words for you: grilled lettuce. It may sound strange, but trust me, lettuce never tasted so good. I am now using it as a distraction from the mess that has become my life as moving day comes closer. In a room full of extra-large suite cases waiting to be filled and memories waiting to be forgotten I browsed through a plethora of caesar salad recipes today, further fueling my addiction to the combination of garlic, anchovies and a squeeze of lemon juice.

I have finally perfected the dressing after attempting it for nearly two years, the secret being that the anchovies and garlic should be mashed into a paste with a mortar and pestle before the other ingredients are added. This results in a creamy, smooth texture as opposed to a lumpier one when the garlic and anchovies are only chopped into pieces. I am also a fan of the coddled egg, I believe it gives the dressing a more authentic taste, unlike that of mayonnaise.

Since I had the dressing down I was looking for a creative take on the basic salad. I found it on the Food52 website, a Fully Grilled Caesar Salad. The recipe calls for lightly-grilled lettuce, this is achieved by cutting a heart of romaine lettuce in half, brushing the cut side with olive oil and sprinkling over salt and pepper and then grilling it for about two minutes, leaving one side of the lettuce slightly charred and the other crisp. Pretty much it's green leaf heaven.

Although I took the lettuce idea from the recipe, I kept the rest my own, using my own dressing recipe and adding some grilled chicken into the equation, which isn't necessary but turns the salad into a full meal. As much as I hate to use the word, this recipe is yummy with a capital Y.


Grilled Lettuce Caesar Salad

Serves 2 as a meal

3 anchovy fillets
1 clove of garlic, peeled, plus extra for the bread
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1-1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large egg, coddled
1 large romaine heart, cut in half length wise
1/2 a ciabatta, cut into 1 inch slices
2 skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated

1. Pound the anchovies and garlic clove in a mortar and pestel until they form a smooth paste.
2. Add in the Dijon mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and stir, then quickly mix in the coddled egg. Set aside.
3. Brush the cut sides of the romaine with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat the grill or a grilling pan over the stove and set the romaine on top, cut sides down. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the cut sides have charred but are not wilted.
4. As the romaine cooks rub the bread slices with a peeled garlic clove and brush over a layer of olive oil. Remove the lettuce and grill the bread until golden brown.
5. Place each half of the romaine on a plate with the bread.
6. Grill the chicken breasts until cooked thoroughly, but not dry.
7. Once finished remove and cut into strips.
8. Add the chicken to the plates of romaine and drizzle over the dressing, finishing with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top.
9. Serve as a meal or cut the recipe in half for a side dish.








No comments:

Post a Comment