Sunday, May 23, 2010

Jamie takes on Italy

I have been avoiding my blog duties for quite sometime now and it's time to face the music. My sister has been in Barcelona visiting and summer is full-fledged, resulting in plenty of time outdoors and not enough time in the kitchen. Though I have managed to squeeze in a few home cooked meals all thanks to Jamie Oliver.

My infatuation with the chef grew after I recently purchased his Italian cookbook. I barely have words to describe how utterly amazing it is. After spending far too many late nights reading it from front cover to back, I took it upon myself to learn the true basics of Italian cuisine, with more than enough help from Jamie (we are now on a first name basis). I have been carrying around the 320 word cooking bible for two weeks now, pulling it out every now and then to show my friends and sometimes even random strangers the beauty within the pages. Eager to cook everything at once, I have decided to go slow and take my time, in order to learn the secrets inside and out. There are two recipes in particular that I am drawn to, easy and quick to make with wonderful results. I have found that the secret lies in the ingredients, using only the best quality vegetable to obtain a mouth-watering taste. I have already made them twice this week and I have a feeling that they may be popping up in my meals continually.

Verdure verdi condite alla perfezione (dress up perfectly cooked greens)
Adapted from Jamie's Italy by Jamie Oliver


6 big handfuls of mixed greens, leaves and herbs (baby cabbage leaves, Swiss chard, cos, gem, Romain, spinach, rocket, watercress, yellow celery leaves, basil, parsley, sorrel, or fennel tops all work either alone or combined)
Good quality extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon

1. Bring a pot of salted water to boil and steam the greens and garlic, covered by a lid.
2. Once the greens have taken on a dark-green color (time varied by the type of green, taste to see if they are done) drain them in a colander and lay them on a clean tea-towel to soak up any excess water.
3. Leave them for a few minutes until the steam escapes and then put them in a bowl.
4. Mix in the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and stir.
5. Serve hot or cold.

Tomato and olive crostini (small toasted bread)
Adapted from Jamie's Italy by Jamie Oliver


About 20 ripe cherry tomatoes in a variety of colors, chopped into quarters, or 5 heirloom tomatoes in a variety of colors, chopped into small pieces
A handful of good-quality black or green olives, stones removed and chopped
Good-quality extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
1-2 dried chilis
1 loaf of ciabatta, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 clove garlic, peeled

1. Combine the tomatoes, olives, 2 or 3 glugs of olive oil and a swig of balsamic vinegar in a bowl and stir.
2. Season with salt and pepper and crumble in the dried chili and stir.
3. Grill the slices of ciabatta until golden brown.
4. While they are still hot rub them gently with the garlic and drizzle on the olive oil.
5. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and then generously spoon the tomato mixture on top of each slice.
6. Serve as an appetizer, with a meal or by themselves.









No comments:

Post a Comment