Monday, May 10, 2010

Freedom jam

Today I spoke with a good friend of mine about the word "freedom" and it got me thinking. I used the word loosely, as if it solely referred to a physical state, and was taken aback by my thought process. After the conversation I began thinking about the different ways I had heard the word "freedom" used throughout my life. Janis Joplin called it "another word for nothing left lose", while I learned in my yoga teacher training that it was the art of non-attachment, or performing duties without being attached to the results.

With all the definitions from those relating to a physical state, to those based on a state of mind, I knew I had to explore what freedom meant to me in order to come to terms with it. I thought and I read and I thought some more, and although I am sure my definition will change over time, right now freedom to me is jam. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous, but today it just feels right. To me freedom is a state of mind in which one can keep each aspect of oneself in any physical situation while still adapting to the situation and growing from it, all the while not being attached to any particular result.

Jam does just that. The process begins with a few ingredients: fruit, sugar and lemon juice, the permanent base. The ingredients then go through various physical states: the sugar is dissolved in the fruit, the fruit is combined with the rest of the ingredients and then they all are put to boil to form the final product, maintaining the same base, just a different physical state. The result is a soft, sweet melody of ingredients which still retain their natural essence.

I maybe wrong, for all I know freedom could be a fry or maybe even a chocolate cake, but for me, today, freedom is flavorful mixed-berry jam, canned in tiny jars for all my friends.


Mixed-Berry Jam
Adapted from the Food & Wine recipe

Makes three 1/2-pint jars

1 lb strawberries, ends off and cut into quarters
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 lemon, seeded
1 lb mixed raspberries, blueberries and blackberries

1. In a large saucepan toss the strawberries with sugar and let sit for one hour, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is almost dissolved.
2. Squeeze the lemon over the strawberries, then add the entire into the mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved.
3. Cook over moderately high heat for 5 minutes, until the strawberries have softened.
4. Add the mixed berries and cook for 30-40 minutes, until the liquid runs off the side of a spoon in thick, heavy drops.
5. Skim off any scum that rises to the top.
6. Remove the lemon half and spoon the jam into 3 1/2 pint jars, leaving about 1/4 inch of space on the top.
7. Close the jars and let the jam cool to room temperature.
8. Jars can be decorated and given as gifts and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment