Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dedicated to the Practice: From Tea to Minestrone

It's been over 9 months since I wrote my last post and without a doubt I am ready to begin again. I have finally found a sense of dedication after a long roller coaster ride of self-exploration, and I don't believe I have ever felt so at ease. As I sit here in my fabulous kitchen in my new, beautiful apartment I can't help but think about how far I've come. No, my life is not perfect, but it's so perfectly imperfect I could literally scream.

I have just gotten back from a work weekend in Las Vegas with a group of my talented, inspiring co-workers and friends. We went for the World Tea Expo, something I didn't think was even real until just a few months ago. Walking from booth to booth, learning about the art of tea making and interacting with each knowledgeable group, a word kept flashing in my mind: dedication. These were people from around the world who were so passionate about tea that they were literally brimming with excitement. I felt inspired and in complete awe. Although I may have been in Vegas, I was surrounded by pure beauty. Most importantly our company was part of that beauty and we had something that made us stand apart: a serious set of values.

When I first began working at Samovar I saw my job as transitional, a way to make money until something better came along. I acknowledged the strong sense of community, powerful values and tranquil atmosphere, but I was unable to see anything beyond. Perhaps it was all the tea, but slowly I was swept away into the magical world surrounding me. It became my home, both physically and mentally. I began to understand the importance of making genuine human connections both within the staff and with customers, which slowly began to effect my personal life in the most positive of ways. As I saw the world of Samovar in a new light, my desire to understand the world of tea grew, and with it I grew. I was asked to help manage the location and on top of that write for our website, leading me to the path I had come to San Francisco to pursue. This is when the real learning happened. This is when I entered a state of bliss.

I have immersed myself in the world that is surrounding me, eager to learn more about the farms, the plants, the people, myself, and here I have found dedication. I have found what it means to care about something so much that no challenge can stand in the way, no bad day can bring it crumbling down. This dedication is spreading like a wildfire. Inspiring me to get back to my roots, to pick up a pencil and draw, to get lost in a book for hours, to reconnect with myself in the yoga studio, to love and to live. So here I am back in the kitchen, dedicated to the pots and the pans, dedicated to the written word and most importantly dedicated to myself.

This realization has turned cooking from a hobby to an art form. As the blade of the knife comes down time after time it is done with awareness and precision, because each thoughtful step is what turns a dish from mere food to a piece of art.

As my first piece in my new space I found a recipe for Smoky Minestrone with Tortellini and Parsley or Basil Pesto on Food52. This soup is truly magnificent. The bacon gives an extra layer of flavor that adds depth and fullness. My only regret is that I did not have time to make the tortellini and chicken broth from scratch, which I will most definitely do next time. I tweaked the recipe a bit and added in bay leafs, chili flakes and pepper to enrich the flavor. I used parsley for the pesto which rounded out the flavor and added the right amount of garlic kick. Try pairing it with a full-bodied, ultra smoky black tea like Lapsang Souchong to complete the meal. I encourage you to play around with it a bit and even just for a moment dedicate yourself to the practice. A little love goes a long way and I swear you can taste the difference.


Adapted from a recipe by WinnieAb on Food52

Serves 6-8

Soup

  1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the bacon pieces and cook for a couple of minutes, until they start to brown.
  2. Add 2 more tablespoons of oil along with the chopped onion, garlic and leek. Continue to cook, strirring occasionally, over medium heat until softened.
  3. Add the chopped carrot, celery, zucchini, potato and stir around for a minute or two.
  4. Add the stock, the chickpeas, and then the tomatoes, crushing them with your hands as you go. Add a few generous pinches of salt (be judicious if your stock is salted already). Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender.
  5. Add the kale and the tortellini, and continue to cook over a simmer until both are tender and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Serve garnished with a spoonful of the pesto, a few drops of the aged balsamic, and a generous sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Parsley or Basil Pesto

  • 1 cup loosely packed basil or parsley
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

  • 1. Chop, chop, and chop the basil or parsley some more by hand until it's very fine...when you do this, you'll reduce it down to about 1/4 cup.
  • 2.As you chop the basil, start to incorporate the other ingredients and chop them fine, too, until you have a lovely, finely chopped pesto.
  • 3. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in the olive oil. Use as a garnish for the minestrone.

No comments:

Post a Comment